Sunday, April 5, 2009

Warning: Dog flea/tick treatment

Yesterday I gave Molly a flea/tick treatment, Sargeant's Gold liquid drops that are applied to the dog's back and are effective against fleas and ticks, etc...  After becoming fairly certain that we lost our dog Morgan to Lyme's disease last year, I have tried to be more consistent with treating our dogs and the ticks have become quite active again this year.  I applied the drops and within a couple hours noticed that she was looking a little weak/shaky and was drooling.  It was late and she had just been outside barking at deer, so I thought maybe she had just worked herself up.  We went to bed and this morning noticed that she was drooling more and was having obvious difficulty swallowing.  I hopped on google and found some information here from others who have had the exact same reaction.  I saw that when they called the vet he said to wash the dog with dish soap, so I did that twice and we left for church (she was acting fine otherwise).  She rested and ate and drank while we were gone and was back to full health by the time we got home.  I am SO thankful!  I tossed the rest of the treatment in the trash and will never buy it again.

2 comments:

  1. When I worked for the vet, I learned Hartz has a very bad reputation for hurting pets instead of helping, even their shampoos are bad. So glad to hear Molly is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how scary that must have been. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete